Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Like a Llama or an Emu

My husband and I were away in Philadelphia for this little thing we have going on the side, a job. I’ve never gone into detail about my job, but I get the pleasure (most days) of working with my husband. And sometimes we have to go away. And sometimes when we go away, we get to have fun. I know, it’s crazy. Two responsible parents having fun. We might burn in hell.

Our fun consisted of an opening night reception at the 30th Street Station. (Hubby is a cartoonist, as you might know from reading this blog, and we were at the Association of Alternative Newspapers Convention selling his comic). Short of wearing a bikini and a sandwich board, we needed to do something in order to chat it up with the good newspaper folks. Here comes the brilliant idea: We decided to split up during the reception to network.

A few things I discovered after three glasses of wine:

  • Contrary to what my husband thinks, I can flirt.
  • The lure of ground beef. After 2 ½ years of hamburger-free living, I stood on line to get myself a mini-delicacy by one of the greatest pubs in Philly. Don’t ask me the name of it, remember I had 3 glasses of wine. I took one bite and remembered why I don’t eat hamburgers anymore. They bleed. At least this one did.
  • Some editor guy told me that he had heard that the “hamburger” was actually an emu-burger. I don’t know if this was true, but I can tell you what IS true. This person then went on to ask me, “What is emu?” Sans 3 glasses of wine, I totally know it’s like an ostrich. After imbibing, I answered: “It’s like a llama.” For some reason, the first thing that popped into my chardonnay-soaked brain was the line in the song, If I Had a Million Dollars by the Barenaked Ladies - If I had a million dollars,well, I'd buy you an exotic pet - yep, like a llama or an emu.

Like I learned from the D.A.R.E. officer way back in 5th grade, alcohol really does impair the brain. If that editor remembered our conversation and learned what an emu is, an animal quite unlike a llama, I’m pretty confident I won’t be hearing back from him. Lesson learned: I will no longer try to make a sales pitch with the hooch in hand.

1 comment:

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

That is a GREAT post! You had me laughing out loud. I think it's great that you and your husband get to go away on work getaways like that. And I think it's even better that you get to help him out! Work that room GIRL!! Emu or not... you go girl!! :)
Audrey
Pinks & Blues