Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Memo From Mom

TO: FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY
FROM: A MOM LOOKING TO SAVE A BUCK
RE: IF IT’S FREE, IT’S FOR ME
DATE: JUNE 23, 2010

This memo is to commend you for being so awesomely fabulous. And by awesomely fabulous, I mean FREE.

We forget about you, neglect your aisles of cerebellum-enriching materials, horizon-expanding lectures, and of course, the all important VIDEO GAME.

When I was informed that you, my dear local library that shelves thousands of books – books about people who have influenced lives, books about far away places and exotic cultures, books sparking creativity and imagination – that you, you now have video games, well, I cried. With JOY!

Do I want my son’s mind to grow because of your broad inventory on all things intellectual? Of course. Do I want to avoid continuing to dump money on Wii games that this child plays once and forgets about? Abso-freakin-lutely.

Several years ago I thought you were the bomb when I rented about 4 seasons of Sex and the City after dropping half my salary at Blockbuster on Season 1 Discs 1-18, and Season 2 Discs 1-25. But this gift you’ve given, the gift of the free video game – Monkey Man just might have a shot at college thanks to the money you are saving me.

No comments: