Saturday, January 29, 2022

February and David Goggins


Run #1 of the 4x4x48 Challenge, March 5, 2021


February sucks.  It is the shortest month, but the longest.  It is a vast nothingness of nothing.  

Last February I trained for David Goggins’ 4x4x48: I prepared to run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours in March. (If you’ve never heard of Goggins, look him up - you’ll immediately be both inspired and horrified). I did shorter runs during the week then multiple runs on the weekends to get ready. It helped me to have a goal to work towards and made the month go by with something to look forward to, if running 4 miles, every 4 hours for 48 hours and sleep deprivation is something one looks forward to.


So this year I needed a challenge to push me through this dreadful month.  At first I thought, in keeping with the “get uncomfortable” spirit a la David Goggins, I will get up every morning at 5:45 to do something - walk, stretch, workout, meditate. I hate mornings and I especially hate dark, cold winter mornings, so that’s the uncomfortable part. Then I laughed maniacally at the thought of me getting up 45 minutes before I actually needed to.  That’s a little too uncomfortable. 


This thought process brought me to my answer, 2022’s F**k February Goal. Too often (like, too too often, like every night) I am just too tired, too mentally drained from herding cats all day (I’m a teacher).  Although I almost always get in my workout,  I can then sit in front of the television for hours so that not one more brain cell needs to function. My goal: I will not watch television on weekday nights so that I can write, workout and meditate.  Instead of making excuses that I don’t have the time because it’s being eaten away by Real Housewives and Cheer, I will spend my weekday evenings productively not being attached to my couch. I am not giving up weekends because a girl’s gotta live…and catch up on what she’s missed all week.


I’ve been wanting to bring this blog back to life so here’s to 2022’s F**k February Goal.  Check in, keep me accountable and let me know what gets you through your "February!"





No comments: